- Site: Fort McMurray, Alberta
- Travel: Paid to and from site
- Schedule: 7 days on 7 days off
- Compensation: Benefits include, RRSP, Health & Dental, Vacation Pay
Sigma Power, or Stuart Olson Tech Services, is headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, and provides a full range of technical services on equipment ranging from 480V to 500KV. Our team of highly trained personnel deliver our services with a strong focus on safety, quality and productivity. We provide value-add services to Utility, Industrial and Commercial clients. Tech Services is fully integrated within the E/I & HV Stuart Olson portfolio, allowing Stuart Olson to maximize value creation for our clients.
Why Work for Us
Sigma Power is currently hiring a Technical Specialist – Protection and Control to work a 7 days on, 7 days off schedule. If you value work life balance and working half the year this is an excellent opportunity.
- Acts as an ambassador for Safety and Quality at all times.
- Implements relay settings for multiple models of relays to ensure safe, efficient, and successful operation of electrical assets ranging from 13.8kV to 260kV.
- Participates in ILP investigations, HAZOPS and Job Safety Analysis.
- Performs activities which include assisting in routine cleaning, testing, calibration (where/if required) of all protection IEDs, and functional operational testing of all protection schemes.
- Carries out and/or assist during routine testing and functional verification of all communication equipment.
- Carries out and/or assist during functional operational testing of substation auxiliary equipment and verification of the data systems that provides the operating centers with real time operating and alarm information.
- Assists and/or resolves questions concerning IED application installations.
- Ensures all associated protection and control documentation is up-to-date utilizing the appropriate document control methods.
- Prepares and issues technical reports including providing recommendations.
- Seeks value-add opportunities with clients such as potential repairs or upgrades.
- Provides support to other staff in resolving technical issues.
- Provides mentorship and support to junior employees.
- Certified as an Electrical Engineering Technologist, Electrical Engineer, Power Systems Electrician or Journeyman Electrician
- 5+ years’ experience in Electrical Commissioning and Maintenance
- Registration with applicable Professional Association in good standing
- Technical experience in control systems (applications such as Honeywell, Triconex, DeltaV, various HMI/SCADA systems etc.) an asset
- Strong working knowledge of various IED models from manufacturers such as SEL, GE Multilin, Siemens, ABB, Alstom etc.
- Knowledge and experience with IED secondary injection testing equipment such as Omicron or Manta will be an asset
- Knowledge of formal Management of Change (MOC) processes
- Participate in ILP investigations, HAZOPS and Job Safety Analysis
- Ability to forge, grow and maintain positive relationships
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet the time demands of unpredictable activities; capable of handling pressure and challenges
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and prioritization of work to achieve them
- Strong critical thinking, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieving goals; ability to work in challenging, fast paced environment
- A valid drivers license and clean driver’s abstract
- Pre-employment A&D test required
Why Choose Stuart Olson
Safety, Sustainability, Collaboration, and Integrity are core Company values that encourage innovation and make a lasting difference in meeting the goals of our stakeholders and the communities in which we operate. Stuart Olson strongly supports and encourages employees to get involved and give back in their local communities. We expect our employees to bring their best to work every day and in return, management recognizes and rewards employees for their valued contribution through competitive compensation, robust benefits, health & wellness programs, and learning development opportunities. At Stuart Olson we are committed to creating a culture built on a passion to do great things.
Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Unsolicited resumes and phone inquiries from 3rd party agencies will not be accepted.